95 phonics core program™
classroom kit grades k-3
our whole-class phonics supplemental program is designed to bring the effectiveness of 95 percent group’s structured literacy instructional approach to address and prevent reading gaps for all students.
95 phonics core adds an explicit phonics strand to the daily reading block to ensure that all k-3 students receive consistent evidence and research-based phonics instruction to improve outcomes. the lessons are designed to provide systematic phonics instruction across the grade levels to accommodate both in-person and remote learning.
click here to download a complete program overview.
use the 95 phonics core program to reduce the number of students who need intervention instruction
95 percent group’s whole-class phonics program leads to student mastery of critical early literacy skills. it helps fill in gaps where the core instruction is not meeting the needs of all students. schools use this phonics program to strengthen their required ela curriculum by providing systematic and explicit word study and spelling instruction.
95 phonics core program is aligned with research and 95 percent group’s proven approach. the comprehensive instructional materials offer flexibility for in-person and remote delivery, allowing for continuity of learning whether students are gaining skills at home or at school.
program components include:
- letter formation instruction and practice in kindergarten
- suggestions for developing print concepts to explicit instruction in blending cvc words (k-1)
- phonics patterns demonstrated and practiced hands-on with phonics chips
- phoneme-grapheme mapping including phonemic awareness
- high frequency word practice
- writing words, word chains, sentences, and short responses to passage reading
- word and phrase fluency practice
- weekly spelling lesson lists to reinforce the focus pattern, and assess hfw mastery
- practice applying phonics knowledge to read decodable text
- instruction in morphological units including common prefixes, suffixes, and latin roots
- comprehension process practice with oral discussions and written responses after reading decodable texts
- end-of-unit assessments for monitoring progress
essa evidence level 1 efficacy study supports 95 phonics core program effectiveness
95 percent group partnered with lxd research to conduct a third-party evaluation of the 95 phonics core program as it was implemented during the 2021-2022 school year in a missouri school district. random assignment to conditions ensured the highest level of scientific rigor (essa evidence level 1). the fall 2021 and winter 2022 research activities included the beginning-of-year (boy) reading assessment, a middle-of-year (moy) assessment, and a survey of teachers from control schools that focused on phonics instructional strategies and background.
download the efficacy study to review the data supporting significant growth for k-2 students
in classrooms that implement the 95 phonics core program.
95 phonics core demo lesson
watch this on-demand video to view a 95 phonics core program lesson,
visit our web store and take a closer look at our k-3 95 phonics core program.